Thursday, September 08, 2005

The Current State of Things and a Lack of Faith in Mankind

Yesterday, to add to an already long and difficult day, I got in a car accident.
I swear my car is a magnet for destruction.
I was waiting to turn left onto a busy road, and there was noone at the stop sign opposite me. Traffic was taking forever, and by the time I finally went to turn a girl had pulled up at that other stop sign. The sun was in her face, granted, but I was there when she pulled up, and I don't know how she could have not seen me at some time during her approach. As I pulled out to turn I saw her take off, fast. In a split minute decision, and not wanting to hit her head on, I gunned it and tried to go straight, and get around her before she hit me, but she was going too fast. She slammed into me about where me left rear tire is on my drivers side.
Now, usually in an accident I don't freak out. As long as everyone is okay, the car can be dealt with. This time, already stressed about money and things, I about came unglued. I slammed my fists on my steering wheel and said a few choice words to my nephew and little sister who were also in the car.
By the time I exited the vehicle however, I had restored some dignity, and approached the girl with civility. She apologised, saying that the sun was in her eyes and that she never even saw me. We exchanged personal info. She did not have insurance, of course.

Now, the damage on my car looked real bad. I thought that the rear axle must be messed up; from the way my tire was tilting. Luckily, after my mechanic friend examined it, he told me that these little cars like mine don't always have rear axles that go all the way across. So he thinks he can fix it pretty inexpensively. My car has already become so scratched up as it is, and even if my insurance would cover it, I can't afford the 500$ ded. since I just paid for school. I decided to let Kenny fix it, and not report it.
Here I am, in my naivety, thinking that this girl would be glad. She won't a)get a ticket for having no insurance, b) get a ticket for failing to yield, and c) have to pay as much money out of pocket.
Man do I ever live in a faery tale world.
When I called her she informed me that she had never even seen my turn signal on at all (I thought she didn't see me in the first place?), and that she could hardly afford to put gas in her car, and no way was she going to contribute to my car getting fixed!

You know what? It really isn't costing that much to make my car *go* again, and the money does not upset me. The dishonesty upsets me.
In fact, I can't even tell you how horrible I feel after talking to that conniving little you-know-what! It just makes me sick inside.
Earlier this year, one of my oh-so-lovely neighbors, with his big ass truck, scraped the side of my car with his bumper. I should say *gouged*. Suspiciously my roommate recieved a mark in the exact same place on her car, a day or two earlier!!!!
Unfortunately, noone saw anything, and I can't prove it. I sneaked out in the night and examined his bumber, which just happened to be a little bit scratched with white paint. (My car, coincidently, is white.) Our road is narrow already, and so I guess that trying to get your huge truck off the curb in a drunken stupor, can cause these sorts of oversights.
What was I supposed to do? I hated to go up to their front door and start accusing, telling them how I examined their bumper while they weren't looking!! I decided to let it go. The damage was already done.
It wasn't the damage that bothered me, it was the complete disreguard for someone elses property, combined with the inability to accept responsibility. I understand that accidents happen to everybody. We all have bad days. I am willing to work with someone who can't afford to put gas in their car. In fact, in the case of this latest accident, I would have been willing to eat the cost myself. Now I am pissed. It's one thing for me to do so out of kindness, it's another thing for me to do it because the other person is an asshole!
I do believe that what goes around comes around. So I wonder what I've done to deserve all this?? Being a nice person apparently isn't enough.
Too bad for her though. I am sure she will get it back in the end.

This just reminds me about the state of things in general, and the moral decline that so many people deny is happening in our country. It's sad. We are so spoiled and selfish. I admit, I am not free from guilt. I ought to pray for our nation a lot more than I do. It grieves me so much that I would just rather hide my head under my pillow than deal....but we have to deal. We will deal, one way or another.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

International weblogs competition launched
The 2nd annual international weblog awards competition - theBOBs, short for The Best of the Blogs - has been launched.
Great blog site!! Bookmarked it for future reference.

I have a online poker room
site/blog. It pretty much covers online poker room related stuff.

Come see mine if you get time.

Joe said...

Amanda, with the current glut of spam comments you might want to consider requiring word verification before posting comments.

Anyways, since this was all covered in our e-mails, I'll say that somehow I linked the wrong blog in my bloglines news aggregate so it didn't look like you were updating at all. Well, the reason being there was a subtle spelling difference and I got a blog from Indiana instead with a profile pic that didn't look like the you I remember seeing in a picture several years ago.

So, that's why I haven't been posting comments and such.