Friday, December 22, 2006

One For the Road

It seems like a zillion years since I updated, even though in truth it has probably only been a week and a half.
Our area suffered a terrible wind storm, which knocked innumerable huge trees to the ground, crashing into houses, power lines, and all kinds of things. As I mentioned in a previous blog about the weather, we had a record amount of rain in November, which had caused a lot of flooding and whatnot, and there was some power loss then as well, just not as much. Because the ground is still so water logged, it was much easier for trees to be uprooted, causing even more damage than a wind storm of this caliber might normally have done. I've wanted to take some pictures, but just haven't done it yet. If I don't get around to it before the mess is all cleaned up, I will steal some from friends that I can post and show some of the damage. It was really quite impressive.
The sidewalks and sides of the road are littered with pine. It's like we have green growing streets! Luckily no trees fell on our house, although one of of close neighbors was not so lucky. We were without power for four days.
We closed ourselves up in the downstairs living room and stoked the fire nice and high. Of course, since the power was out we had to have a cold front move in. Everyone knows that that is the first rule of a power outtage...the temperature is going to drop. I think of it as usually fairly warm over here, at least coming from my Eastern Washington perspective. It rarely snows, and 40 degrees is cold. I love it. Of course, when the power went out, the temperature dropped down into the 20's at night. It's a really weird thing to be laying in your bed, which is warm, but then to peek out your head and see your breath in front of your face!!
On the afternoon of the fourth day, several things happened.....
#1. My desire to have experienced the wagon train and life of a pioneer was completely shattered.
#2. Camping inside the house lost all of its novelty.
#3. I had a breakdown and just couldn't take it anymore, so I left. hehe.
One can only freeze ones ass off for so many days in a row. I drove to a friends house in Bellevue, and slept on their floor that night. Of course, at 10pm or so our power came back on, but it was still freezing in the house, and it had a chance to warm up while I was away, which was fabulous.
I was unplugged for about five days, which might be a record for this fall.

Today, anytime now actually, my housemates and I are driving to Spokane for Christmas. Caleb, the rock star, is opening for me tomorrow. Yay for Caleb the rock star!!!! Woooo!!!!!!

I wasn't going to post anything, but I have been meaning to write an entry ever since the power came back on, just been too busy. So, while Lance and Jeni are getting ready to go, I thought I would take the opportunity to let you all know how much I love electricity. =)
I really, really do love it.
Yay for Technology. =)
Okay, well, that's it for now. I am off to gather my stuff and brace myself for the forthcoming festivities!!!!

No comments: