Thursday, April 27, 2006

Robert Jordan

I can't believe that Robert Jordan is sick. I guess I have been out of the loop lately. Then again, none of my friends told me about it either. If I wouldn't have checked out his blog today, I still would not have known. I thought that since he was writing a lot, he wouldn't be posting much, so I haven't checked in lately. Plus, I've just been busy.
http://www.locusmag.com/2006/Features/03JordanLetter.html
Kudos to Jordan for having such a brave attitude.
My friend Alecia and I used to joke around...kind of. We would be like; "What happens if Robert Jordan gets ill or something? What if he dies?" We used to laugh and screech and tell ourselves that we would have to make up our own endings to The Wheel of Time, but that didn't really satisfy us. Of course, now it is no joking matter. I can't imagine facing an illness of that sort. I've had close friends go through similar things, and I think they are way stronger than I am. I guess you never know until you are put in that situation. Commenting now on the next book, or whatever, seems mean hearted considering what he has to go through physically, and his books shouldn't be the thing on my mind.
The truth is though, he is a great author, and I really enjoy his work. So does he it seems! So I find it hard to separate one from the other. He is, the author, and always will be, and his sickness affects the body, but it also affects the work. So, forgive me if I care about both. I can't seem to help myself. I feel compassionate, and thoughtful towards the person, and I feel anxious about the work. All of this rolls up together in my mind. I would be lying to say otherwise. In any case, many many prayers and good wishes go out to Robert Jordan, his wife, Harriet, and the family. Here's cheering for a miraculous recovery.

No comments: