Monday, May 01, 2006

The Bell Jar/The Giver/On the Street Where You Live

I have been a very bad little reader the past couple of months. In fact, I just let one book streeeettch over several weeks. Now I am going to have to play catch up, since Joe is once again kicking my ass.
So anyway, this last week I read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Several of my friends loved this book, and I have been meaning to read it for some time. It was actually pretty interesting. It was a much easier read than I thought it was going to be. Also, I didn't know that it was essentially an account of what happened to her earlier in her life. No wonder she stuck her head in an oven. Speaking of which, this has started a couple of interesting conversations at work, and the fact that I was reading the book, even got me a profession of love. Go figure. Who knew Sylvia Plath would have such an impact. =P

I also read a book called The Giver by Lois Lowry. This is classified as a young adult book. Also a book I have been meaning to read. Back when I worked at Barnes & Noble I decided that I was going to read all of the award winners, so that I could be up on my knowledge of books targeted at young people. In any case, the book totally gave me the heebies. haha! Okay, not the severe reaction that I had to reading 1984, but climbing that track. I can see why people think it's a good book. I mean, it really makes one think. These kind of books just really get to me. At the end I am like..."But wait! what happens?!?! I mean, what happens now?!?!" hehe.

I'm getting ready to read a slew of fantasy novels. I haven't read any since KoD came out, and I hadn't read any in awhile before that. I love fantasy...it is my favorite genre. Even so, I am usually pretty skeptical of starting new series. There is so much stuff out there that is just a bad copy of what someone else already did. I usually only read books that have been recommended to me by a friend, and even then I don't always. Despite being skeptical, sometimes I end up being a huge fan, so it's worth it to branch out. This time I am hoarding a Tad Williams series beside my bed, and a Salvatore trilogy. I also want to read the Terry Brooks word novels. That oughta keep me reading for a bit. Before I start those books, however, I am trying to catch up on some other reading. My mom is a huge Mary Higgins Clark fan. She writes mostly murder mysteries. She's not my favorite, but I usually enjoy her books. I just finished one this week. Right now I am reading a Dean Koontz book. the last book of his that I read was Intensity. Appropriate name. I was on the edge of my seat the ENTIRE time. It was crazy. That was several years ago, so I decided it was time to give him another read. This time I am reading Velocity.
In a week or so I will be all fantasy all the time. haha. Tad Williams books are always insanely huge. I don't want to dedicate a week to one until I have gotten a couple of others in my stack out of the way. =P No need to put myself any further behind than I already am. =)

1 comment:

Joe said...

Tad Williams is a major time investment. I've read the first two volumes in Memory, Sorrow, Thorn and I really should start the 1000+ monster "To Green Angel Tower". Decent books, slow pacing.