Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Water Wonderland

So this evening I was watching my nephew take his first dip in the backyard kiddie pool. It's in the lower 90's outside, but that pool was just filled and you know that water is an icy 38 degrees. hehe. He just jumped in without even a shiver!!!
The sprinkler was going, and the sun was shining, and I was reminded of those childhood days gone by, when we would laugh and run through the sprinkler, splash the kiddie pool water on each other, squirt someone with the hose. Possibly, someone would even bring out the slip and slide.
These neighbors of ours had these things called water weenies. I never saw them anywhere else, but they were HOURS of entertainment for the kids in my neighborhood!!!
Oh, and who can forget good old water balloons!!!

My favorite water memory is from grade school. Third grade I think, when I still went to Shiloh Hills. On the last day of school, they would do these games out on the playground and in the grass and whatnot. So in one of the games you would have this team of like...eight people or something. You would all stand in this single file line, with a huge tub of water at the front, and a small empty bucket at the back. the first person in line held a coffee can with tons of little holes in the bottom. So, the goal was to fill the coffee can with water from the tub, and pass it over everyones heads, dumping whatever was left into the bucket at the rear of the line. First team to fill that bucket wins. Everyone gets wet. Everyone is screaming and passing that can as fast as possible. It was third grade bliss.

It's hard to even imagine a time when life was so good. Not that life is all that bad right now, but you know what I mean. Now there is work, and bills, and all the responsibilities that come with being an adult....which I have tried desperately to avoid but its just not working!!! haha!

Summer sunshine can be such fun!

No comments: