Thursday, September 18, 2008

So Very Easily Distracted

Okay, so it's true that I have not accomplished as much as I wanted to by this time today but it's been a decent day even so. I have this extra little room in my apartment, technically I suppose it is a sun room. There are a lot of windows covered in blinds. It opens to the living room through these beautiful glass french doors. I wonder if a million years ago (obviously I exaggerate), there used to be a porch here. The reason why I wonder that is because there are also windows on either side of the french doors, complete with locks on the inside (living room side). In any case, it's a fabulous little room, which has mostly held the plants I didn't know where else to put and a huge, ancient record player; perhaps I should say stereo record player. It does have am/fm radio. The thing is gargantuan and it weighs a ton. I got it from this family during a church rummage sale about five years ago. They wanted it to go away and I thought it was a fabulous treasure. It's a nightmare to move, but it's in great condition.
Yeah, okay, so back to the room. I have been wondering what exactly I was going to do with it. I have had a few ideas. Then, recently, some friends of mine were having this estate sale and they had this lovely old roll top desk. They had so much stuff that they just really needed to get rid of, that they gave me the desk for 20$ and they even brought it up to my house for me! Sweet! The desk fit perfectly on one side of my little sunroom. It looked so nice sitting there that I had this brilliant idea to turn my sunroom into a writing room. A normal desktop wouldn't fit on the desk, but the laptop is another story, so that works out just fine. Plus, since it is in a separate room, there is no tv or anything like that.
Okay, so I had to start geeking my room out right? I hung up a big map of Randland (ie; The Wheel of Time world), and a picture I got from a Calendar which may be the cover from A Path of Daggers. I can't remember offhand. I had this poster, just something old school, with a bunch of writing stuff on it; quill pens, parchment paper and all that. Then I had these pages that I had written some great quotes on and I hung those up to, as well as some sheet music that I have had since high school.

Not too long ago, I started doing a lot more writing and I was surprised to realize that as I was doing it a lot more great ideas were coming to me in the process. I actually started a few different things. One thing has kind of lead to another. In any case, one idea seemed to take off more than the rest, and I found myself modeling my characters after a couple of people that I used to know. These were dear friends who really inspired me, and possibly impacted me more than just about anyone. It gave me the idea to dig out some old pictures and let them sit there on my desk, which I did.
My little room is shaping up nicely, though I sometimes think I could be better employed than sitting here wondering what I could do to it next. =)

One of the pictures I have on my desk now is the senior picture of my best friend from high school. There is also a picture of us together. It shocks me to realize that there aren't really very many pictures of us together at all.
I think that the people in the pictures I have taken out do inspire me. They also seem to rip me open and leave me bare. It's good and bad. You have to get to that place, but it is also uncomfortable. It's important to me though and I cannot entirely explain why.

So I am in the middle of this story that I really love so far, but it is full of gaping holes that I have not yet figured out how to fill in. I suppose I should get back to it though. I just wanted to update since it has been such a long time that I have not been doing so.



Currently Reading: The Great Hunt - Robert Jordan

Currently Listening To: All the houses look the same - Deas Vail

No comments: