Sunday, January 22, 2006

Pride and Prejudice

I went and saw the movie again. I admit it, I am hooked. That scene where they have the argument. You know the one. Where Darcy finally confesses his love and Elizabeth tells him he is the last man she could be prevailed upon to marry? I love that scene in the new movie. It's like, he wants to kiss her, but he can't and he is agonizing. It's moving. =) Little sister also loved it but her boyfriend Mark was completely lost...poor guy. =P hehe.

So here is the list of books I have read so far this month:
Pride and Prejudice (Of course! Hadn't read it yet.)
Northanger Abbey (Also Jane Austen)
Wuthering Heights; I told myself that I was going to give this book another chance. I didn't love it. Two thirds of the way through I had to convince myself I could finish it. The writing isn't bad or anything..it's just so dang depressing. There is only so much I can take! I did finish it though and that's all I can say.
Drowning Ruth; I know I mentioned the first couple of these in a previous entry, but I don't think I really gave any details. This book wasn't my favorite, but I did enjoy it. It's basically about these two sisters. One of them dies tragically, and the other ends up raising her sister's
daughter and taking care of her husband who's been wounded in the war. WWI...i think. In any case, there is a lot of mystery surrounded the sisters death, and throughout the book you are getting little glimpses of the circumstances surrounding the event. I liked the way it was drawn out.
The Night Trilogy by Elie Weisel: Night/Dawn/The Accident
Who can read Night and not be moved, honestly? Ever since I went to the Holocaust museum back in the Spring I have been even more impacted by things having to do with it. It strikes me deeply in a way I can't explain...more than it ever did before. Dawn(fictional) was okay definitely interesting, and the Accident, which is also fictional, but could be the life of the author and you'd never know it, was very moving. I liked it alot.
Through Painted Deserts by Donald Miller, the author of Blue Like Jazz.
I started this a couple of weeks ago, but just finished it. It's basically a travel journal. Well, it reads like a story, but it covers the authors road trip from Houston up to the Mnt Hood area in Oregon. I love the Northwest, and although I haven't been to all the places along the journey, I have been to most, and it was interesting to read their descriptions from a different perspective. What I initially liked the most about this book, is that it has the spirit of some things I'd like to write myself. It's not a difficult read, and I would recommend it to anyone.

I recently bought the Time Traveler's Wife among other things, and upon reading the first chapter, I became convinced I had read it before. I haven't remembered how it ends yet though. I think I'll read a ways further.
Anne of Green Gables is sitting on my bedside table, even though I've read it a couple of times before, I've been hankering to read it again. =) I also started Mansfield Park, but I only read a couple of pages before I got busy. So I am trying to decide if that's the book I want to finish first. We'll see. I wanted to get a head start on reading, since I need to average two books a week for the year. I did get a head start, but now I've been letting it slack! I did most of my reading the first week, and I have only finished one book this week. So I'd like to start something besides Moby Dick if you know what I mean. hehe.

I'm supposed to drive to Texas with Becky this coming week, so that should be interesting. Especially after reading that travel related book.
Well, that's my report for now! =)

No comments: