Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Disappointed as Usual.

Okay, I know that we all have our varying opinions on politics.
I did not vote in the primaries, and I have been withholding my decision on who I am going to vote for in November.
I confess however, that I have been leaning towards voting for Obama.
(Ryan, try to control your apoplexy!)
I know that I don't want to vote for Hillary. I'm pretty sure that I don't want to vote for McCain.
I'm not going to vote based on one situation alone, however, I am not thrilled about this whole Jeremiah Wright thing.
Having a lot of church going experience myself, I know the kind of power and influence a pastor can wield. If you stay in a church for 20 years, there is a pretty good chance that you are at least mostly in agreement with the church leadership.
If not, I can't conceive how you could sit there Sunday after Sunday.
I didn't leave my own church based on a serious difference in beliefs. I left because I didn't like the way those beliefs were lived out. That alone made me antsy and miserable until I finally made a break with them.
Can I judge a 30 year ministry on a few clips from tv though, that is the real question. Do I know that this man is inherantly evil and has therefore lead Barack Obama to the dark side?

Voting for president always scares me. It's a big deal. What if I vote for a bad person?? There is always that chance. I have liked candidates before who did not end up being what I hoped.
Having said that, I still think we need a change.
It has been hammered into me for a long time that I am a Republican, that I vote for Republicans.
Why?
Because they generally oppose abortion and gay marriage? Is that it? Are those the big issues??
Right now I am concerned that gas costs 5$ a gallon, and the economy is in the tank. I am concerned that we let people rack up thousands of dollars in debts that they can't pay for, and that the national debt keeps climbing while everybody is fighting over other more petty issues.

I wish that I could vote for the best person, rather than a party favorite. Right now I just wish we could see a change. I have nothing personally against George W. Bush. In fact, I am sure that in regular life he is a very nice man. I am not going to sit here and bitch about his opinions and what he has and hasn't done. The reality is however, that we keep voting for rich, white men. It's not that being white and wealthy make you inherantly bad. I am not saying that. What I am saying, is that it might be nice to have a different perspective for once.
I don't know.
Frankly I am just completely frustrated about politics and I am sure that a lot of other people feel the same way.

Anyway, we will see who gets the vote, Hillary or Obama, and then I will decide who is the lesser of two evils.
Pretty sad to look at it that way, but there it is.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

So... is it the 'JFK' aspect or just the fact that Obama isn't old and white (i.e. 'different') that makes him so attractive as a candidate?

Other than not voting for Obama, I'm pretty much in agreement with you. I am not looking forward to choosing between two bad options. I could just vote for McCain thinking that he is closer to my actual choice (Huckabee) than the Democrats. Or I could actually look at the candidates and realize that Hilary is more conservative than McCain and vote accordingly.

OR, I could just not vote (which is very difficult to contemplate) because I hate making that choice between "the least worst choice".

Maybe I'll vote but just write-in 'Huckabee'!