Thursday, August 31, 2006

For Nickie

This post isn't about whatever Nickie and I have talked about lately, it's more about my relationship with God, but I thought she'd like to hear, so this post is for her.

I learned this amazing thing about God when my sister died, that I thought I had known before and I guess I am always learning. That is how He is all Encompassing. When that tragedy happened I found myself in this unique place where I was no longer mad about petty things, or even concerned about stuff like how I needed to buy new tires for my car. All of a sudden, nothing else mattered. It became all about the basics, and the basics were worshipping God. I am actually really greatful for that time, because I was able to just be in this place of grief where all I could do was worship God and it was the most profound thing I have ever experienced. Sometimes I think we get these tiny reminders of just how all encompassing He is. We think in such a two dimensional way compared to Him.

Anyway, even before that time, but maybe more since, I have learned to really appreciate raw worship. This is one of the reasons I love Bono and U2, regardless of what other christians might think of them. They never apologize for where they are, they are really honest about it. Whatever questions they have of God, or whatever they are going through, comes out in their music. So I love worship music like that. I love Nichole Nordeman because she always seems to be right where I am. She sings a lot of songs about worshipping Him just because He is, regardless of where we are. A great example of this is a song called Gratitude.

Send some rain, would You send some rain?
'Cause the earth is dry and needs to drink again
And the sun is high and we are sinking in the shade
Would You send a cloud, thunder long and loud?
Let the sky grow black and send some mercy down
Surely You can see that we are thirsty and afraid
But maybe not, not today
Maybe You'll provide in other ways
And if that's the case . . .

We'll give thanks to You With gratitude

For lessons learned in how to thirst for You
How to bless the very sun that warms our face
If You never send us rain"

I was very tempted to post the whole song, but I seem to be doing a lot of that lately. It's worth checking out anyway.
You know, there is just that place where everything sucks, and there is nothing you can do about it, but no matter what, He is still God, He is still good, (even if that is beyond our comoprehension) and all we can do is just be on our face worshipping Him, knowing that....despite all else.
Sometimes bad things happen, and people try to comfort you, or tell you these lame christian antecdotes, but I think you can tell the people who really get what you are going through...they are the people who want to just let you suffer...because they know that that is not a bad place. They are the people who are not afraid to feel the pain with you.
(Not that everyone doesn't have good intentions of course.)

Anyway, I just love that reality of life with God. People who don't try to sugar coat it. So I can be like....This is just how it is. I can be kind of miserable, and life can suck today, but I am still going to worship Him because He is. Of course, sometimes I can come across loving Him more than other times. hehe. Even so...this honest christian is the kind I want to be.

Just thought I'd share that!!!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Exactly. Thank you for saying something so perfect I can't describe it or thank you enough. :)