Saturday, August 26, 2006

Your Grace Still Amazes Me

(The title is in reference to a Phillips, Craig & Dean song)

Alright, so I have this post that I really want to make, except that for once words are totally failing me and I don't know if I can do it justice. I really want to do it justice, but what the heck.....I am just going to go for it.

It's 2:00a.m. I have to work at 4:30a.m. Essentially I would be getting up in an hour and a half even if I tried to go to sleep (which seems a little pointless by now). The reason I am up so late is because I had dinner at a friends. I knew that if I went I would be up late...I didn't realize that I wouldn't sleep at all, but maybe I should have assumed that. You see, the people I went to hang out with are old friends of mine, and that's what I want to talk about.

When I was 19 I came to the Rock. The Rock is the church I attended for ten years until I left last November. About four months after I got there, a couple of people started talking about starting a college group, because there wasn't one functioning at that time. Several people our age had begun hanging out at our apartment anyway, becoming friends and whatnot, so it was a fairly easy transition.
What followed...I am not sure I will ever be able to explain. I can only say that there must have been some sort of divine intervention. We started meeting one night a week (officially) in September of 1996. The next year of my life ended up being one of the most amazing, transitional, growth filled times in my life.

For whatever reason, I just ended up with this amazing group of people who just clicked with each other. I mean, certain people had their issues and disagreements, but for the most part....I have just never belonged to a group of people who had such love and grace for one another. Our hearts were knitted together...I don't even know how it happened. We just spent all of our time with each other. Talking about God, going to church, doing Bible studies, but most of all just hanging out and being lame together. hehe.
Everything revolved around Phil's house for awhile. We would go out there and play pool in his parents basement. We'd chat and stay until 2 or 3 in the morning all the time. (I was younger and had more risilience back then. hehe)
My friend Rachel and I used to hang out at Phil's till 2, and then we'd leave...or try to. We'd end up talking out in front of our cars for an hour....even in the dead of winter. Finally when we couldn't stand being out there anymore, we would drive to Shari's ( a restaurant) a few blocks away, and drink coffee until 5a.m., at which time, Rachel would go straight to work. We did this all the time.

There was a lot of growth, a lot of great memories were made, and, in short, it was just the most amazing time in my life. Eventually we all began to move on. I mean, people were going to school, and going overseas to do missions, and whatnot. It was just that stage in life...it was bound to happen. We all had our own courses to pursue in life.
Lance was very busy with his business, Phil went to Spain to study, among other things, and eventually got his Master's degree to teach secondary Spanish. Rachel did a school of frontier missions, and married someone she met there. They live in southern CA now, and are planning on starting a school in Egypt eventually. Renee got married and moved to Vancouver. Becky went to the Peace Corp in the Phillipines, Rhonda went to Japan, Eliesha and I are still the token single people living here in Spokane. Karla went to YWAM fulltime, and she eventually (finally) married Jordan and moved to the UK. Christian is still around...but the point is, we have all gotten a little spread out.
The most amazing thing is though...whenever somebody comes to Spokane we all rally. Last Thanksgiving Karla and Jordan were home, so we all got together at Phil's. He and his wife live in the Spokane Valley now. Once again, it has become the place we meet. Renee calls everyone when she is in town. Rachel calls everyone when she is in town.

A year and a half ago? Two years? I got a call from someone...I don't even remember who, that Phil was sick and in the hospital. He had gotten some virus, and just went down fast. It ended up attacking his heart. It was a pretty serious time. I got on the phone and called everyone. It was pins and needles for awhile, but the whole gang was praying. I'd talk to people on the phone, and you know, it was just like our brother was in the hospital. That's the kind of feeling we have toward one another. No matter how often we get to hang out.
Phil recovered, Praise the Lord. He'll have to take blood thinners for the rest of his life because they replaced a valve, but we're just happy to have him with us.

So tonight a few of us were over there, Martha made us some tasty tequila laced lemonade, because she is Mexican and he might as well be, and that's just what you do. haha! Seriously, it was just such a good time. Catching up, and telling old stories. I would say that at least half of us do this once a year anyway. It's just incredible that after all this time....10 years now, marriages, sicknesses, children later...we are all as close as we've ever been, some of us more so, just not neccesarily in proximity.

Every once in awhile I just get overwhelmed with love and thankfulness. It's hard for me to imagine that some people never have had friends like mine. I am occassionally ungrateful, and once in awhile we have our issues, but in the long run....These are the people who's doorsteps I could show up on at 3:00 in the morning, no matter what was going on. I'm serious about that. Some friends you think might be those kind of friends, but these guys are. There is no shadow of doubt about that.
When I left tonight it was Phil and I, Rachel, and Eliesha and I told them....you know, the gooey things that everyone doesn't always say because its too gushy and sentimental? The stuff usually reserved for Christmas cards, or for when someone dies? Well, I told them that I think it's amazing that we are all still friends, and that I love them a bunch. I'm not sure they can even understand, or that I do, the love that wells up in my heart over them.

As I was driving home tonight, I just felt this thankfulness gushing out of my heart, and there are long periods of time I have gone without really being able to feel that. I am thankful, literally just to feel thankful. hehe. My heart was just full at that moment, as it feels every once in awhile, and it reminded me that we worship a big, good God, who loves his kids and sincerely has their best in mind. Knowing that makes it so much easier to give everything up and follow him. To jump off the edge of faith so to speak. I just haven't felt this way in such a long time...
It's been building, but then to be reminded by these dear old folks who I know, and have a relationship with, soley because of His great kindness and mercy.
From the depths of my heart....Sincerely, sincerely, Thank You Jesus.
Amen and Amen and Amen.

"Your grace still amazes me
Your love is still a mystery
each day, I fall on my knees....
Cuz Your grace still amazes me."

No comments: